Vol. 80, No. 1 / Jan. - Feb. 2024
Utilize the bar’s forms bank to streamline your practice
Whether you’re new to the profession, a solo practitioner, or a lawyer with decades of large firm experience, having the appropriate tools at your disposal makes all the difference in succeeding within the practice of law and even better serving your clients. Through the forms bank on connect.MOBAR, The Missouri Bar provides free forms, white papers, comparison charts, checklists, and articles related to various practice areas and stages of managing a law firm. Get started at MoBar.org.
Award nominations open March 1
Starting March 1, The Missouri Bar, The Missouri Bar Foundation, and The Missouri Bar Young Lawyers’ Section will begin accepting nominations for several awards that recognize the amazing work of lawyers and non-lawyers. This includes:
- E.A. Richter Award for Excellence in Citizenship Education;
- Dr. Warren H. Solomon Civic Virtue Award;
- Purcell Professionalism Award;
- Spurgeon Smithson Awards;
- Liberty Bell Award; and
- Tom Cochran Community Service Award.
Need ethics advice?
Contact the Office of Legal Ethics Counsel! Many questions can be answered over the phone at 573-638-2263, or lawyers may also request a written informal advisory opinion. There is a searchable database of published informal opinions at mo-legal-ethics.org, as well as links to formal opinions, resource pages, and other helpful ethics information.
If you’re dealing with seasonal depression during winter, treatment can help! Reach out for assistance if you’re experiencing seasonal depression symptoms: sadness, loss of energy, fatigue, and changes in sleeping or eating habits. For more resources, go to MoBar.org/MOLAP.
Using unknown charging devices is like chewing used gum off a public surface. Phones and other devices can be compromised when plugged into a malicious charging device or USB port – putting your professional and personal data at risk. Never use a public charging station or even the provided USB charge ports in a hotel room. Always use your own charging brick that you know to be secure because you have purchased it new.
Save the date
- The February Missouri Bar Exam is Feb. 27-28 in Columbia. Share your advice with those sitting for the exam on social media using #NewMOLawyers.
- The Missouri Bar Board of Governors will meet March 7-8 in Jefferson City.
- Show Me The Constitution, a mock constitutional hearing competition for high school students sponsored by The Missouri Bar’s Citizenship Education Department, will take place April 8.