Submit nominations for new Missouri Bar Diversity Champion award
Nominate candidates by May 31
This article has been updated to display the extended deadline to submit nominations for the 2023 Diversity Champion Award.
The Missouri Bar Board of Governors is accepting nominations for the 2023 Diversity Champion Award through May 31. The new award recognizes a lawyer who demonstrates a true commitment to inclusion and achieves gains toward increasing the retention, advancement, and promotion of lawyers of color. The award was created to encourage lawyers, legal employers, and broader communities to be inspired by the example set by awardees.
The award will be presented annually to an individual who has, within the last 12 months, developed, adopted, or implemented meaningful initiatives or programs designed to increase inclusion within the legal profession in Missouri or have otherwise made significant contributions valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion for lawyers of color which helps in:
- Increasing access, success, and equity for lawyers of color;
- improving and enhancing organizational climate to make it more conducive to the hiring, retention, and advancement of lawyers of color;
- increasing cultural consciousness in the professional development of lawyers of color; and
- demonstrating an overall commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion for lawyers of color.
Eligibility for nomination
Any member of The Missouri Bar may nominate a lawyer for this award. Nominated Missouri lawyers must be in good standing and meet the criteria. A significant part of the relevant efforts must have occurred during the last 12 months. To nominate a candidate, complete this online form by May 31.
Criteria for selection
The selection committee will review the nominees’ contributions to diversity and inclusion with these three criteria in mind:
- Demonstrated exemplary commitment aimed at valuing inclusion and increasing the diversity, retention, and promotion of lawyers of color consistent with the profession’s ethical code;
- Committed to or advanced the value of inclusion in the four ways listed above; and
- Worked diligently to facilitate the hiring, retention, advancement, and promotion of lawyers of color.
This award was founded by the Board of Governors at its 2022 Annual Meeting following a recommendation of the Special Committee on Lawyers of Color.
The award will be presented at the Annual Meeting of The Missouri Bar Sept. 13-15 in Kansas City.
For more information or questions about the award program, contact Elizabeth Reed, diversity and inclusion director of The Missouri Bar, at 573-638-2266 or email@example.com.
The Missouri Bar and Missouri Bar Young Lawyers’ Section is currently accepting nominations for several awards. Click here to read about other award nominations. For more information about awards from The Missouri Bar, The Missouri Bar Foundation, and the Young Lawyers’ Section, go to MoBar.org.